How it Works
How The Volunteering Process Works
Once you submit your inquiry, you’ll hear from one of our staff members. They’ll provide you with information you need to get the process started. You can complete the form below or contact the office directly.
Here is an outline of the process:
- Complete an application form.
- Submit a recent and original Criminal Records Check certificate or letter with a Vulnerable Sector Search, a Child Abuse Registry search certificate, and four references
- Participate in a one-to-one interview with an agency staff member
- Successfully complete an orientation and child safety training
- Sign and submit Permission & Release, Confidentiality, and Media Release
- Once all required steps are completed, agency will notify you whether accepted or not
The Matching Process
Agency staff will facilitate and support the match introduction:
- The Mentoring Coordinator, now familiar with the volunteer and the children and youth waiting to be matched, discusses a potential match with the volunteer, the child or youth, and, depending on the program, with the family
- If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
- The Mentoring Coordinator arranges for a meeting between the child or youth, the volunteer mentor, and often the parent or guardian
- The Mentoring Coordinator will check in with all the participants on a regular basis throughout the match